Cox Communications is dedicated to protecting the Internet experience of our customers. We notify customers when their computer systems may be infected with a virus or other malicious software. ZeroAccess is a Trojan horse virus that compromises computers in the following ways.
- Creates a hidden file system.
- Downloads more malware to the infected computer.
- Steals passwords, credit cards, and other personal information.
There are many forms and versions of this malicious software and no utility can effectively detect and remove all versions of this software from all operating systems at this time. Cox recommends the following free tools as they may be effective in removing the malicious software.
- For Windows Vista and Windows 7, refer to Microsoft Security Scanner.
- For all other Windows operating systems, refer to Norton ZeroAccess Removal Tool.
Choose a removal tool that best suits your needs. All computers connected to the Internet should be scanned for virus removal.