With Go Super Fast (1 Gig) and Go Beyond Fast (2 Gig) tiers from Cox, you can expect fast speeds delivered to all your devices. However, the Go Super Fast (1 Gig) and Go Beyond Fast (2 Gig) tiers deliver speeds that are faster than some of today's most advanced smartphones, laptops, and tablets are capable of supporting. Use the following information to help you get the most out of your Gigabit Internet service.
Numerous external factors may limit your speed; as a result, actual speeds may vary and are not guaranteed.
Are your devices capable of achieving Gigabit speeds? Use your owner's manuals to ensure your modem, router, and all devices can achieve Gigabit speeds with the following information.
- Make sure your device meets the minimum system requirements. Refer to Minimum System Requirements by Cox Internet Package.
- Check the download speeds that some of the most commonly used devices can achieve. Refer to your device manufacturer for speed capability information.
- A DOCSIS 3.1 modem is required to deliver Go Super Fast (1 Gig) and Go Beyond Fast (2 Gig) speeds over DOCSIS and for Go Super Fast (1 Gig) and Go Beyond Fast (2 Gig) customers who are using a separate router, a Gigabit-capable router is required.
Use the following information to help you maximize speeds on your device.
- Make sure you are not in the process of downloading or uploading anything.
- Close all programs using the internet.
Are you experiencing slower speeds on some websites but not others? Website traffic and content provider server capacity impact speeds. Additionally, due to device and browser speed capabilities, some websites may also experience different load times across platforms.
Are you connected using a wired Ethernet connection? Learn more about why Cox recommends using a wired Ethernet connection below.
- Using a wired Ethernet connection delivers speeds that are inherently faster than speeds over WiFi due to eliminating potential wireless interference.
- When you're using WiFi, you will not achieve the maximum Gigabit speeds.
- Due to Ethernet processing overhead, Go Super Fast's maximum expected download speed (1 Gig) is up to 1 Gbps.
Optimizing WiFi Connectivity
Are you using WiFi? Even though the maximum speeds achievable over WiFi are less than with a wired connection, use the following information to optimize your in-home WiFi to achieve the best speeds and connectivity.
- Turn off any WiFi-connected devices you aren't actively using to reclaim network bandwidth.
- Ensure your WiFi modem or router is placed according to the following recommendations.
- Centrally located in your home
- Away from interference from metal objects, mirrors, microwaves, and cordless phones
An optimal location may be on the second floor of your home, keeping the WiFi equipment up high and unobstructed.