Call trace allows you to dial a simple code to trace the phone number of a call that was received.
- This service is used to trace harassing calls.
- There is no maximum to how many times a customer can place a call trace on their line.
Important: Customer Originated Trace must be used immediately after you disconnect from the call you want traced. If you get another call, or hear a Call Waiting tone first, you will trace the wrong call.
Using Call Trace
- After the call arrives complete the following:
- If you have hung up, pick up the handset and listen for the dial tone.
- If you have not hung up, quickly release the disconnect button, and listen for a special dial tone.
Note: Some phones have a Link or Flash key that you can press instead of the disconnect button.
- Press *57. On a rotary phone dial 1157.
- Listen for a confirmation announcement telling you the last call has been traced.
Note: In some areas, after you press *57, you'll hear an announcement that the call can be traced. Follow the voice instructions to dial an additional code, and the call will be traced.
- Hang up from the call.
Obtaining Call Records
All Cox Digital Telephone customers can use the Voice Tools features to set up the capture of calls you make and receive, excluding private or unlisted numbers. The Voice Tools are available through your accounts on www.cox.com.
If you need records of outgoing calls made before establishing your Voice Tools record, you can obtain them for a charge by presenting a photo ID and completing a release at any Cox Front Counter location. Records will be mailed to the address on your statement in two to three weeks. Cox maintains call records for 18 months (36 months in California and Virginia).
Other than through Voice Tools, records of incoming calls are not available to customers because they may include private or unlisted number information. Law enforcement can obtain these records for investigation of harassing or annoyance calls.
The number you traced will be recorded by Cox personnel. If you decide to follow-up on the matter, you must contact a law enforcement agency and we will provide that number directly to them. We cannot provide the traced number directly to the Cox Digital Telephone customer.