To ensure a continuing supply of new telephone numbers in a state, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) approves each state's utilities commission to introduce new area codes or combine area codes in a geographic region.
Using the area code with the original phone number, 10-digit dialing requires using the 3-digit area code prefix in addition to the original 7-digits of a telephone number whenever making a telephone call.
- This practice was implemented by the FCC to eliminate concerns that customers inside the previous area code and the overlay area code (the new area code covering the same geographic area as the previous area code) would have different dialing arrangements, such as the previous area code using 7-digit dialing and the overlay area code using 10-digit dialing when making a telephone call.
- Using 10 digits when making a telephone call became necessary to eliminate the different dialing arrangements between the previous and overlay area codes.
Types of Area Code Changes
The table below outlines several ways that area code changes are introduced.
|National Suicide Hotline|| |
|Area Code Overlay||An area code overlay occurs when a new area code is added to an existing area code in the same geographic area.|
|Boundary Elimination Overlay||A boundary elimination overlay occurs when the boundary line between two existing area codes is eliminated so that both area codes serve the same combined geographic region.|
National Area Code Changes
Use the table below to learn about recent or ongoing area code changes affecting your region.
|Region / Area Codes||Change Type||Impact||Mandatory Overlay Date||Resource Links|
804 / 686
|Area Code Overlay|| |
870 / 327
|Area Code Overlay|| ||1/19/24|
480 / 602 / 623
|Boundary Elimination Overlay - Second customer notification|| ||8/12/23|
480 / 520 / 928
|National Suicide Hotline|| ||11/9/21|
| ||National Suicide Hotline|| ||11/16/21|
| ||National Suicide Hotline|| ||12/7/21|
|Kansas - 620 / 785||National Suicide Hotline|| ||12/7/21|
|Louisiana - |
337 / 504
|National Suicide Hotline|| ||12/12/21|
757 / 948
|Area Code Overlay|| ||4/9/22|
540 / 826
|Area Code Overlay|| ||5/14/22|
Reprogramming Equipment for 10-Digit Dialing
All services and automatic dialing equipment, or other types of equipment that are programmed with a 7-digit telephone number must be reprogrammed to dial 10-digits. The following are common examples of equipment that require reprogramming.
- Stored telephone numbers in contact lists in phones.
- Fax machines
- Internet dial-up numbers
- Speed dialers
- Call forwarding settings
- Voicemail services
- Medical alert devices, safety alarms, security systems and gates, ankle monitors, or other similar equipment must be reprogrammed to use 1+10-digit dialing.
- Many systems operate on 1+10-digit or 10-digit dialing by default, but some older equipment may still use 7 digits. To determine if your equipment requires reprogramming, contact your medical alert or security services providers for assistance.
- Check your personal website(s), business stationery and advertising materials, printed checks, contact information, and personal or pet ID tags to ensure the 1+area code is included in the telephone number.