Before You Begin
Panoramic Wifi from Cox provides your household with a gateway and gives you access to our Smart Wifi features, including the Panoramic Wifi app, web portal, and Pods. All Panoramic Wifi Gateways are compatible with Cox Voice. If you bring your modem or gateway, review the following information to use with your Cox Internet package.
- Speeds are not guaranteed and may vary based on individual circumstances, including your home configuration, modem capabilities, and other factors.
- We recommend using a DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem with integrated WiFi capabilities, also known as a gateway, capable of broadcasting dual-band 802.11-AC WiFi or higher for all Cox Internet packages.
- Combination Internet and Telephone modems purchased or received in new or used condition from third-party retailers are not certified for use with the Cox network.
- If you did not purchase your modem new from a third-party retailer but instead purchased or received it in used condition, then it is possible the modem cannot be used with your Cox Internet service. Contact us to determine if the modem can be activated on your account.
- It is essential to ensure the modem you select is certified for use with the Cox network. Before you make a decision, review Cox Certified Cable Modems.
- Only modems and gateways purchased or rented directly from Cox are supported by Cox Customer Support. If you obtain your modem or gateway from a non-Cox vendor, then your Internet service does not include support for connected devices and technological assistance. You may subscribe to Cox Complete Care to receive support for your non-Cox modem or gateway and connected devices.
- Cox does not promote or endorse third-party modems, gateway, or manufacturers.
Use the table below to help you make the right modem choice based on your Cox Internet package.
Note: Cox highly recommends using a DOCSIS 3.1 modem or gateway for an optimal internet experience.
|Cox Internet Package||DOCSIS Compatibility|
|Go Fast (100 Mbps)|| |
|Go Faster (250 Mbps)||DOCSIS 3.1 and DOCSIS 3 16x4 or higher|
|Go Even Faster (500 Mbps)|| |
|Go Super Fast (1 Gig) and Go Beyond Fast (2 Gig)||DOCSIS 3.1|
If you plan to set up WiFi at home, visit our Wifi Support page to learn more.
Modem Lifecycle Policy
Review the following guidelines for legacy modems still in some households and the requirements for our new Cox Internet customers.
|Use a DOCSIS 2.0 modem.|| |
|Use a DOCSIS 3.0 modem or gateway with 4x4, 8x4, or 16x4 channel bonding|
|Are you a new Cox Internet customer||Cox highly recommends a DOCSIS 3.1 modem or gateway for an optimal internet experience if you purchase your modem in third-party retail.|
All cable modems use a standard for hardware and software called Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification (DOCSIS). The maximum internet speeds you can achieve depends upon both the DOCSIS version of your modem and the Cox Internet package to which you subscribe.
- If you have an older modem, you can improve your internet experience by upgrading to a new one. When selecting a modem, consider current and future speeds, your home configuration, and the number of users and devices in your household.
- Cox makes significant investments in its network to enable Cox to periodically upgrade its Internet packages to give you a better Internet experience. DOCSIS 3.1 modems provide the best experience and allow Cox to operate a more efficient network.