Before You Begin
Panoramic Wifi from Cox provides your household with a gateway and gives you access to our Smart Wifi features including the Panoramic Wifi app, web portal, and Pods. All Panoramic Wifi Gateways are compatible with Cox Voice. If you choose to bring your own modem or gateway, then review the following information before you select a modem or gateway to use with your Cox Internet package.
- Speeds are not guaranteed and may vary based on individual circumstances, including your home configuration, the modem capabilities, and other factors.
- We recommend using a DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem with integrated WiFi capabilities, also known as a gateway, that is capable of broadcasting dual band 802.11-AC WiFi or higher, for all Cox Internet packages.
- Combination Internet and Telephone modems purchased in third-party retail are not certified for use with the Cox network.
- It is important to make sure the modem you select is certified for use with the Cox network. Before you make a decision, review Cox Certified Cable Modems.
- Only modems and gateways purchased or rented directly from Cox are supported by Cox Customer Support. If you obtain your modem or gateway from a non-Cox vendor, then support for connected devices and technological assistance is not included with your Internet service. You may subscribe to Cox Complete Care to receive support for your non-Cox modem or gateway and connected devices.
- Cox does not promote or endorse any particular third-party modem, gateway, or manufacturer.
Use the table below to help you make the right modem choice based on your Cox Internet package.
Note: Cox highly recommends using a DOCSIS 3.1 modem or gateway for an optimal internet experience.
|Cox Internet Package||DOCSIS Compatibility|
| || |
|Ultimate Classic||DOCSIS 3.1|
|Ultimate 500|| |
If you're planning to set up WiFi at home, then visit www.cox.com/wifisupport to learn more.
Modem Lifecycle Policy
Review the following guidelines for legacy modems still in use in some households, and what the requirements are for our new Cox Internet customers.
|Use a DOCSIS 2.0 modem|| |
|Use a DOCSIS 3.0 modem or gateway with 4x4, 8x4, or 16x4 channel bonding|
|Are a new Cox Internet customer||If you choose to purchase your own modem in third-party retail, Cox highly recommends a DOCSIS 3.1 modem or gateway for an optimal internet experience.|
All cable modems use a standard for hardware and software called Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification (DOCSIS). The maximum internet speeds you can achieve depends upon both the DOCSIS version of your modem and the Cox Internet package to which you subscribe.
- If you have an older modem, then you can improve your internet experience by upgrading to a new one. When selecting a modem, consider current and future speeds, your home configuration, and the number of users and devices in your household.
- Cox makes significant investments in its network to enable Cox to periodically upgrade our Internet packages to give you a better internet experience. DOCSIS 3.1 modems provide you with the best experience and allow Cox to operate a more efficient network.