Use the table below to learn about the different audio settings and when to select them.
|Audio Setting||Select this setting if...|
|Dolby Digital||You have a TV or unit that can receive and decode Dolby Digital surround sound, select this setting. Use either the Digital Audio, SP/DIF, or Optical Audio port on the back of the cable receiver.|
The receiver is connected to the TV using an HDMI, select this setting. HDMI delivers digital stereo.
- The HDMI option appears only when the cable receiver is connected to your system using an HDMI cable.
- If you keep the HDMI connected, you can still set up either the two-channel only RCA / Optical audio cables and setting, or the Dolby Digital RCA / Optical cables and setting.
- When set up, the two-channel only or Dolby Digital cable connections and audio settings simply disable the audio portion of the HDMI stream.
|Two Channel Only||You want Left and Right (L / R) stereo or two-channel Prologic digital audio from an RCA Digital Audio or Optical port, select this setting.|
RCA and Optical Audio OUT Ports on a Cable Receiver
Use the following example of a back panel to identify ports. The red boxes show the RCA and Optical Audio Out connections.
On the back of the receiver are the following ports.
- Three sets of stereo L / R (Left / Right) audio out ports - They use audio cable connectors called RCA.
- One Digital Audio Out port - It uses a special digital coax cable with an RCA type plug.
- One Optical Audio Out port - It uses an optical audio digital cable and connector.
- Depending on your receiver, connection port availability and placement vary.
- The ports are grouped.
- The first column labeled ARCHIVE has three ports below it: Video, Left (L) and Right (R). Together these are a set.
- The next section, labeled OUT 1, has nine ports under it. The Video port could also use the other audio L / R or Digital Audio ports in the section. The HDTV (Y / Pb / Pr) video could use any of the audio ports in the section.
- The Optical Audio Out port can be used with either the Video or Y / PB / Pr ports in the OUT 1 box.