Cox Communications uses many security measures in order to protect our customers from increasing threats on the Internet, such as detecting viruses and malware. Cox browser alerts are used to inform our Cox High Speed Internet residential customers on a range of topics, including the following.
- Account services
- Equipment upgrades
- Virus alerts
Handling Cox Browser Alerts
When receiving a Cox browser alert, review the alert message and follow any steps required to resolve the issue. We only provide direct links to Cox webpages in these alerts.
To close the alert, click the X in the upper right corner of the alert. Before you do, make sure that you have read the alert, reviewed the support links, and taken the requested action to avoid future alerts or issues.
If you have any questions or concerns, we encourage you to visit our Support page at www.cox.com/support or contact us.
For viruses, we notify you through a Cox browser alert when one or more devices in your household is infected with a virus. The alert includes a direct link to a Cox website where you can learn more about viruses and how to remove them. Cox recommends several actions to help you resolve virus infections.
- Check to make sure you have installed Cox Security Suite Plus powered by McAfee® to help keep your devices protected from online threats. Cox Security Suite Plus is offered at no additional charge to Cox High Speed Internet customers.
- Be sure to check for viruses on all devices connected to your Cox High Speed Internet service. The computer or device that received the Cox browser alert may not be infected device.
Because no single security software is 100% effective, Cox recommends that you run additional software in addition to Cox Security Suite Plus. There are many anti-virus programs available, both free and for purchase. The following are a few examples of additional software that can remove infections.
- Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool - This tool has been developed by Microsoft to find and remove the most common viruses and Trojans used by hackers.
- Malwarebytes - This tool is an anti-malware program that detects and removes malicious software.
- Norton Power Eraser - This tool is useful if your computer has become a victim of crimeware that regular virus scans cannot detect.
Note: While this software may be helpful to you, Cox provides support only for Cox Security Suite Plus. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.