Domain Name Hosting
If you are a Cox Business subscriber and would like Cox to host your domain name on our name servers, follow the steps below.
- Contact Us to have a zone file created on our server.
Note: A zone file tells the Internet where to locate the IP address for your mail server or website.
- Login to your account with the company you registered your domain name with.
Examples: Network Solutions, Godaddy.com, or Register.com
- Once logged in to the account, change your host records to have your domain name point to ns1.coxmail.com and ns2.coxmail.com.
Mail Exchange Hosting
If a company other than Cox Business hosts your domain name and you want Cox to host your email, follow the steps below to make the change.
- Contact the company that hosts your domain name.
- Instruct them to point your mail exchange (MX) record in your zone file to mx.coxmail.com.
SPF Email Authentication
Sender Policy Framework (SPF) is an email authentication method used to help detect email spoofing and help prevent phishing and spam. SPF checks the list of authorized sending hosts and IP addresses for a domain that is published in the DNS records. Below are the three options to help you add an SPF for your doman.
- If Cox is your MX host but not your DNS host, then contact your DNS host and request to add the following SPF record "v=spf1 mx include:coxmail.com ?all".
- If Cox is your MX host and also your DNS host, then contact us and request to add an SPF record to your DNS records.
- If Cox is your DNS host but not your MX host, then contact your MX host and request an SPF record first, and then contact us to provide that text string so that Cox can add an SPF record to your DNS.
Below are the Cox Business Services resolvers needed to resolve DNS names. The resolvers can be used for the settings in your routers, gateways, and computers. These servers are available to all Cox Business markets.
- Primary name server: 188.8.131.52
- Secondary name server: 184.108.40.206
Additional Email Servers
Listed below is the POP3, SMTP, IMAP, and SMTP email server information.
- IMAP - imap.coxmail.com
- POP3 - pop.coxmail.com
- SMTP - smtp.coxmail.com