Use the following recommendations to strengthen passwords against unauthorized usage.
Security Requirements for Creating a Cox Password
Passwords used to log in to Cox email or My Account must meet all of the following requirements.
- Minimum of 8 characters long
- Maximum of 24 characters long
- Must contain at least one number
- Must contain at least one uppercase letter
- Must contain at least one lowercase letter
- Cannot contain part of the Cox User ID or email address
- Cannot be a previously used password
- Cannot be a commonly used password, for example password1
Recommendations for Strengthening Passwords
Cox recommends using strong passwords to secure account information. Hackers have a difficult time breaking or stealing a password that meets the following conditions.
- Is between 15 and 24 characters long
- Includes one or both of the following
- At least one symbol or special character: !@#$%^*()
- Case-sensitive lettering, such as SaMpLe rather than sample
- Includes none of the following.
- Alphabetic series either forwards or backwards, such as ABCDEF or FEDCBA
- Numeric series, either forwards or backwards, such as 123456 or 654321
- Repeated letters or numbers, such as AAAAAA or 111111
- Common keyboard groupings, such as ASDFG or QWERTY
- Names or birthdays
- Is developed from a passphrase sentence that only the account holder would know and can easily remember
Example: Start with an expression such as "You can't teach an old dog new tricks." Use the first letter of each word to form the password. In this example, the password would contain "yctaodnt," then add a numeral, special character, and capitalization to get "4ycTaodnT!."