Cox Internet Acceptable Use Policy
Updated: April 24, 2020
CoxCom, LLC and its affiliates and/or distribution partners (collectively "Cox") are pleased that you have chosen Cox® InternetSM service (the "Service"). For purposes of this policy, the Service includes all equipment and features which may be offered with Cox Internet, such as speed tiers, data usage plans, and Cox Wifi access. Our goal is to provide you and our other subscribers with a quality Internet experience. This Acceptable Use Policy (the "AUP") has been designed to protect our Service, our subscribers, and the Internet community from inappropriate, illegal or otherwise objectionable activities. Please read this policy prior to accessing the Service. All users of the Service must abide by this AUP. Violation of any term of this AUP may result in the immediate suspension or termination of your access to the Service and/or your Cox account. This AUP should be read in conjunction with the Cox Residential Customer Service Agreement ("RCSA"), Privacy Policies, and other applicable policies.
By using the Service, you agree to abide by, and require others using the Service via your account to abide by, the terms of this AUP. This AUP may be updated from time to time, and Cox will make customers aware of such changes by posting the current version on this website. Revised versions this AUP are effective immediately upon posting, so you should consult this document regularly to ensure that your activities conform to the most recent version. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THESE TERMS, YOU SHOULD IMMEDIATELY STOP THE USE OF THE SERVICES AND NOTIFY THE COX CUSTOMER SERVICE DEPARTMENT SO THAT YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE CLOSED.
1. Prohibited Activities. You may not use the Service in a manner that that does any of the following: violates any applicable local, state, federal or international law, order or regulation, infringes upon the rights of others, interferes with or diminishes the use and enjoyment of the Service by others, or interferes with or diminishes Cox's ability to provide the Services. Additionally, you may not use the Service to:
2. Intellectual Property Infringement. You may not use the Service to post, copy, transmit, or disseminate any content that infringes the patents, copyrights, trade secrets, trademark, moral rights, or propriety rights of any party. Cox assumes no responsibility, and you assume all risk regarding the determination of whether material is in the public domain, or may otherwise be used by you for such purposes.
3. User Content. You are solely responsible for any information that is transmitted from your IP address or your account on the web or other Internet services. You must ensure that the recipient of the content is appropriate and must take appropriate precautions to prevent minors from receiving inappropriate content. Cox reserves the right to refuse to post or to remove any information or materials from the Service, in whole or in part, that Cox deems, in its sole discretion, to be illegal, offensive, indecent, or otherwise objectionable. Cox does not have any obligation to monitor such content or transmissions but reserves the right to monitor them from time to time for violations of this AUP, the RCSA, and applicable law.
4. Commercial Use. The Service is designed for personal, residential, non-business-related use of the Internet and may not be used for commercial purposes (except for reasonable residential applications such as telecommuting, online education, and the like). You may not resell the Service or otherwise make the Service available for use to persons outside your dwelling (for example, through an open wireless home network). You agree not to use the Service for operation as a de facto Internet service provider, or for any other business enterprise (whether for profit or non-profit), including, without limitation, IP address translation or similar facilities intended to provide additional access. For commercial Internet service please contact Cox Business.
5. Servers. You may not operate, or allow others to operate, servers of any type or any other device, equipment, and/or software providing server-like functionality in connection with the Service, unless expressly authorized by Cox.
6. Misuse of Service. You may be held responsible for any misuse or abuse of the Service that occurs through your account or IP address, even if such uses are inadvertent or unintended. You must therefore take precautions to ensure that others do not gain unauthorized access to the Service, misuse, or abuse the Service, including conduct in violation of this AUP.
7. Hacking/Attempted Unauthorized Access. You may not use the Service to breach or attempt to breach the security of another user or attempt to gain access to any organization or person's computer, software, or data without the knowledge and consent of such person. The equipment and the Service may not be used in any attempt to circumvent the user authentication or security of any host, network or account. This includes, but is not limited to, accessing data not intended for you, logging into or making use of a server or account you are not expressly authorized to access, or probing the security of other networks or computers for any reason. Use or distribution of tools for compromising security, such as password guessing programs, cracking tools, packet sniffers or network probing tools, is prohibited.
8. Security. You are solely responsible for the security of any device connected to the Service, including any data stored on that device. You are responsible for implementing appropriate security precautions for all systems connected to the Service to protect against threats such as viruses, spam, Trojan botnets, and other malicious intrusions. You are responsible for enabling the security of any wireless (Wi-Fi) networks connected to the Service. Any wireless network installed by the customer or a Cox representative that is unsecured or "open" and connected to the Cox network is prohibited. You authorize Cox to use technology to detect unsecured wireless networks associated with your use of the Service. If Cox determines that you are using the Service via an unsecured wireless network, Cox will notify you to enable the Security on the Wi-Fi device.
9. Disruption of Service. You may not disrupt the Service in any manner. You shall not interfere with computer networking or telecommunications services to any user, host or network, including, without limitation, denial of service attacks, flooding of a network, overloading a service, improper seizing and abuse of operator privileges or attempts to "crash" a host.
10. Viruses, Trojan Horses, Worms and Denial of Service Attacks. Software or other content downloaded from the Service may contain viruses and it is your sole responsibility to take appropriate precautions to protect your computer from damage to its software, files and data. You are prohibited from posting, transmitting or disseminating any information or software that contains a virus, Trojan horse, spambot, worm or other harmful program or that generates levels of traffic sufficient to impede others' ability to send or retrieve information. Prohibited conduct of this type includes denial of service attacks or similarly disruptive transmissions, as well as transmissions containing other harmful or malicious features. We may suspend the Service without prior notice if we detect a harmful program such as a virus infection. Your service will be resumed once the harmful program is removed.
11. Email. You may not use the Service to send bulk, commercial or unsolicited ("spam") email messages. Any unsolicited email, originating from any source, must not direct recipients to any website that is part of our Service, such as personal web pages, or other resources that are part of the Service. The Service may not be used to collect responses from unsolicited email sent from accounts on other Internet hosts or email services that violate this Policy or the acceptable use policy of any other Internet service provider. In addition, "mail bombing," the sending of numerous copies of the same or substantially similar messages or very large messages or files with the intent to disrupt a server or account, is prohibited.
You may not reference Cox in the header or body of an unsolicited email, or list an IP address that belongs to the Cox network in any unsolicited email. Further, you may not take any action which implies that Cox is the sponsor of any unsolicited email even if that email is not sent through the Cox network. Further, forging, altering or removing electronic mail headers is prohibited.
If the Service is disconnected, whether voluntarily or by termination, all user names and associated electronic email addresses may be immediately released for reuse. Upon disconnection, any mailbox contents may be immediately deleted or held in a locked state. Addresses and email may be held until Cox deletes them as part of its normal policies and procedures. There is no obligation for Cox to retain or make any user name, email address or stored email retrievable once the Service is disconnected.
12. Data Usage, Data Storage and Other Limitations. Cox offers multiple packages of Service with varying speeds, features and data plans (not all packages are available in all areas). You must comply with the current data usage, data storage, email limits and other requirements associated with the package of Service you selected. Information on speeds, usage and other features can be found at Speeds and Data Plans Information.
New technologies, equipment, applications, and activities connected to the Internet consume data. You must ensure that any new or expanded uses of the Service are both consistent with your Cox data plan and do not cause exceptional or abusive data consumption and related impacts to the network.
In rare cases, multiple or simultaneous data consuming activities may adversely impact the Service. You must ensure that your activities do not improperly restrict, inhibit, or degrade any other user's use of the Service, nor represent (in Cox's sole judgment) an unusually great burden on the network itself. In addition, you must ensure that your use does not improperly restrict, inhibit, disrupt, degrade or impede Cox's ability to deliver the Service and monitor the Service, backbone, network nodes, and/or other network services. The Service is subject to reasonable network management as set forth in Cox's Internet Service Disclosures found at https://www.cox.com/aboutus/policies/internet-service-disclosures.html.
13. Misuse and Abuse of the Cox Network. Cox reserves the right to determine, from time to time and in its sole discretion, data usage thresholds which rise to the level of abuse or misuse of the network. While Cox has no obligation to monitor the Service and does not monitor the activity of individual Service accounts for violations of this Policy, it will respond appropriately if it becomes aware of misuse or abuse use of the Service. In some rare cases, where individual use reaches an abusive level, Cox may take any reasonable steps, as determined in its sole discretion, to inform You. Where Cox is unable to reach you, or if the issues in question have not been resolved after consultation with Cox, Cox reserves the right immediately to suspend or terminate the Service as it deems necessary to protect the network, the Service and other Cox users, with or without notice. Neither Cox nor its affiliates, suppliers, or agents will have any liability for any of these responsive actions. These actions are not Cox's exclusive remedies and Cox may take any other legal or technical actions it deems appropriate with or without notice.
14. Conflict. In the event of a conflict between the Subscriber Agreement and this AUP, the terms of the Subscriber Agreement will prevail.
15. How to Contact Cox. For any questions regarding this AUP, complaints of violations, or cancellation notices, please contact Cox at one of the following: