Are the cables in your living room creating a jungle? Don't worry – we'll help you untangle things so that Digital Television makes sense. Just pick the category that describes your problem, and we'll guide you through it – step-by-step.
Selecting the DVD, VCR, Game Console, HDTV, Camera, or Camcorder
Last Updated: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 > Related Articles
Learn how to change the currently selected video input on a HDTV.
The back panel of an HDTV has many inputs. There are video inputs and audio inputs for plugging in the cables from other electronic devices. Depending on the model, an HDTV may have inputs for connecting a few or many electronics.
The HDTV must be told which electronic device you want to watch. If you want to watch Cable TV, you must tell the TV to go to the input where the cable box is connected. If you want to watch the DVD movie, you must tell the TV to go to the input where the DVD player is connected.
In the example below:
- A camcorder is connected to Video Input 1
- A game console is connected to Video Input 3
- A VCR is connected to Video Input 4
- A Cox HD cable box is connected to Video Input 5
- A DVD player is connected to Video Input 6
- An HDMI device is connected to Video Input 7
As with many TVs, Video Input 2 is located on the front panel of the TV.
Selecting the HDTV Input
To select the HDTV video input, use the following steps:
- Turn on the cable box and HDTV.
- Press the TV button once on the Cox remote control.
- Press the VIDEO SOURCE or INPUT button on the Cox remote control to switch from one video input source to another.
If you are unable to change the video input source with the Cox remote control, use the remote control that came with your HDTV. If the remote does not have a VIDEO SOURCE or INPUT button, refer to the HDTV user’s guide for instructions on changing the input source.
- Continue to press the VIDEO SOURCE or INPUT button until the phrase HDTV Video Input displays on the TV screen.
Or, if the phrasing or options are unclear, turn on the device you want to watch – in this case the HDTV -- press the INPUT button on the remote that came with the HDTV, and begin selecting each option on the menu until regular TV programming returns to the HDTV screen.
Some TVs use the phrasing such as Video Input 1, Cable STB, HDMI, and so on to describe the currently selected video input. Refer to the HDTV user guide for the wording specific to your HDTV.
- Exit the Input screen to watch video from the selected device.