Having problems with your TV signal or Picture? Did you know that most TV issues can be solved by using our in-home reset tool? Just sign-in, click the Reset button, and get back to watching the show. >> Reset My Cable Box
Selecting the DVD, VCR, Game Console, HDTV, Camera, or Camcorder
Last Updated: Mon, 05 Dec 2016 > Related Articles
Learn how to change the currently selected video input on a HDTV.
The back panel of an HDTV has many inputs. There are video inputs and audio inputs for plugging in the cables from other electronic devices. Depending on the model, an HDTV may have inputs for connecting a few, or many, electronics.
The HDTV must be told which electronic device you want to watch.
- If you want to watch Cable TV, you must tell the TV to go to the input where the cable box is connected.
- If you want to watch the DVD movie, you must tell the TV to go to the input where the DVD player is connected.
Input Example Chart
For the example below, use the table to view which device is associated with which input.
|Camcorder||Video Input 1|
|Game Console||Video Input 3|
|VCR||Video Input 4|
|Cox HD Cable Receiver||Video Input 5|
|DVD Player||Video Input 6|
|HDMI Device||Video Input 7|
As with many TVs, Video Input 2 is located on the front panel of the TV.
Selecting the HDTV Input
- Turn on the cable receiver and HDTV.
- Press the TV button once on the Cox remote.
Press the VIDEO SOURCE or INPUT button on the Cox remote to switch from one video input source to another.
If you are unable to change the video input source with the Cox remote control, use the remote control that came with your HDTV. If the remote does not have a VIDEO SOURCE or INPUT button, refer to the HDTV user’s guide for instructions on changing the input source.
- Continue to press the VIDEO SOURCE or INPUT button until the phrase HDTV Video Input displays on the TV screen.
- If the phrasing or options are unclear, turn on the device you want to watch – in this case the HDTV -- press the INPUT button on the remote that came with the HDTV, and begin selecting each option on the menu until regular TV programming returns to the HDTV screen.
- Some TVs use the phrasing such as Video Input 1, Cable STB, HDMI, and so on to describe the currently selected video input. Refer to the HDTV user guide for the wording specific to your HDTV.
- Exit the INPUT screen to watch video from the selected device.