The Internet should add convenience, not headaches. From step-by-step instructions to helpful tips, we'll help you install your equipment, troubleshoot problems, and get the most out of your online experience – minus the migraine.
Cox Password Requirements
Last Updated: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 > Related Articles
Learn about security requirements to create passwords for logging in to Cox email and account services.
Use the following recommendations to strengthen passwords against unauthorized usage.
Security Requirements for Creating a Cox Password
Passwords used to log in to Cox email or account services must meet all of the following requirements.
- Must be between 8 and 24 characters long
- Must include both letters and numbers
- Must not include any form of the word password
- Must not contain any form of the email address or Cox login username
Recommendations for Strengthening Passwords
Cox recommends using strong passwords to secure account information. Hackers have a difficult time breaking or stealing a password that has the following characteristics.
- The password is between 15 and 24 characters long.
- Contains one of the following.
- At least one symbol or special character: !@#$%^*().
- Case-sensitive lettering, such as SaMpLe4 rather than sample4.
- Does not contain any of the following.
- Alphabetic series either forwards or backwards, such as ABCDEF or FEDCBA.
- Numeric series, either forwards or backwards, such as 123456 or 654321.
- A string of all identical letters or numbers, such as AAAAAA or 111111.
- A common keyboard shortcut , such as ASDFG or QWERTY.
- A spouse's name or birthday.
- Is in the form of a passphrase that is easy to remember. A passphrase is a sentence that only the account holder can remember.
Example: Use an expression such as You can't teach an old dog new tricks. Use the first letter of each word of the sentence in the password. In this example, the password would contain yctaodnt, then add a numeral, special character, and capitalization to get 4ycTaodnT!.