The Internet should add convenience, not headaches. From step-by-step instructions to helpful tips, we'll help you install your equipment, troubleshoot problems, and get the most out of your online experience – minus the migraine.
IMAP Email Server Settings
Last Updated: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 > Related Articles
Learn more about IMAP server settings.
IMAP servers allow users to view email messages via an email client or application. IMAP offers features that POP does not, such as:
- Support for simultaneous multiple access. New email is available and accessible from any client device at any time.
- Partial fetch, only the sender and header information is downloaded, which leaves more storage on the device.
- Two-way communication between client devices and the email server. This increases stability of the server.
- Messages can be downloaded to the client device, if needed.
- Actions to a message such as read or replied to, will be seen on any client device accessing the same mailbox.
- The server can be searched for specific messages based on different criteria. This allows the user to download only the messages they want.
Use the following settings for setting up your Cox.net email with an IMAP server.
|Full Customer||Your Name|
|Password||Email account password|
|Incoming Mail Server|
|Outgoing Mail Server|
|Use SSL / TLS|
Switching from POP to IMAP
Switching your Cox.net POP email to an IMAP server requires the following:
- Set up an IMAP email account using the same email address associated with the POP settings. See Resources for Setting Up Cox.net Email for additional assistance.
- Delete the POP email account.
When changing your Cox.net email from POP to IMAP, you can potentially lose email messages. If a message does not appear in an email account, it may be due to one of the following reasons:
- A configuration issue with IMAP or POP access
- Settings applied to incoming mail, such as filter or forwarding
- Deliberate or accidental human action, or a comprised account
To prevent losing email when switching from POP settings to IMAP, be sure that the option for Leave Messages on Server is enabled.