The Internet should add convenience, not headaches. From step-by-step instructions to helpful tips, we'll help you install your equipment, troubleshoot problems, and get the most out of your online experience – minus the migraine.
Managing Windows 8 Internet Connection Settings
Last Updated: Wed, 02 Jul 2014 > Related Articles
Learn the steps to access the Internet connections settings and reset your IP address in Windows 8.
Windows 8 operating system is much different than previous versions but setting up an Internet connection is not that hard. Just follow the steps below. Before you begin, review these Windows 8 terms:
|Windows 8 Term||Description|
|charm||icon that represents a feature or function|
|charm bar||menu bar that houses the charms|
|Windows key||Keyboard key with the Microsoft wave logo on it|
Viewing Internet Connection Details
Learn how to view details of your Internet connection.
- Move your cursor to the top right of the screen until the charm bar pops out on the right, as shown below highlighted in red.
- Click the Search charm.
On the Apps screen, press the Esc key to hide the Charm Bar. Click Control Panel under the Windows System section.
Click Network and Sharing Center.
The available network connections will be displayed. To view the network details for your network connection, use the following steps.
- Click the icon for your connection type next to Connections.
- Click the Details button.
Result: The Network Connection Details is displayed.
Use the steps below to reset TCP/IP on Windows 8.
Press the Windows + R keys on your keyboard from any screen.
Result: The Run window displays.
On the black screen, right next to where the cursor is flashing, choose one of the following then type the information as directed. Do not use spaces:
- To view your IP address:
- Type ipconfig and press Enter. You will see the numbers and dots that represent your address.
- To release your IP address:
- Type ipconfig/release and press Enter
- To renew your IP address:
- Type ipconfig/renew and press Enter
When finished, click the X in the upper right corner to close the black screen.