The Internet should add convenience, not headaches. From step-by-step instructions to helpful tips, we'll help you install your equipment, troubleshoot problems, and get the most out of your online experience – minus the migraine.
Managing Settings in Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 8
Last Updated: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 > Related Articles
Learn to set up a home page, connection settings, and parental control in Internet Explorer.
Want to set up a default home page? Want to set up your Internet connection? Need to block the types of sites that display on your computer? Learn how to do all this in Internet Explorer using the steps below. For all PC browser-related articles see Manage Your PC Browser.
Cox does not support all browsers. The following information is for reference only. For specific information on using Internet Explorer 10 visit Microsoft.com.
From the Start screen, move your cursor to the top right corner of the computer screen or press the Windows + C keys to display the Charm Bar. Click the Search icon.
On the Apps screen, press the Esc key to hide the Charm Bar. Click Control Panel under the Windows System section.
Click Internet Options.
Change the Home Page
From the General menu, enter site address you would like to set as your Home page. If you would like to use the current page in Internet Explorer, click the Use current button.
Change the Connection Settings
- Click the Connections tab, then click the Setup button.
- Click Next, then click the radio button Connect to the Internet.
- Click Next, then click the radio button Setup my connection manually.
- Click Next, then click the radio button Connect using a broadband modem that is always on.
- Click Finish.
Control the Type of Content That Display on the Computer
- Click the Content tab then under Content Advisor click the Enable button.
Note: If the Disable and Settings buttons display here, the Content Advisor is already enables.
- Click Settings then click the Ratings tab and choose the level of each content category you want to see.
Note: You can also click Approved Sites to enter your own web addresses and manage which ones to allow or deny.
- Click OK to complete the process.
- On the Content Advisor window, click the General tab and choose Supervisor Can Type a Password to Allow Viewers to View Restricted Content.
- Next, enter a Password and Confirm password. Now enter a Hint to help you remember the password.
Note: This is not the same as your Cox password and is not accessible by Cox.
- Click OK on all the open windows to complete the process.