Billing & Account Support
Troubleshooting Hardware and Calling Features
Last Updated: Wed, 05 Feb 2014 > Related Articles
Help for troubleshooting issues with phone Calling Features and Hardware.
- Check to make sure there are no telephones off the hook.
- Unplug all telephone equipment on that phone line for 5 to 10 minutes and then plug in a single hardwired phone.
- If you are able to restore dial tone temporarily, call 611 for assistance.
- If you are not able to restore dial tone, use a different phone; or you may call or email your local Cox Technical Support office.
Check the volume and ringer controls on your phone to make sure the settings are correct. If the problem persists call 611.
- If your phone is giving only one short ring, you may have Call Forwarding activated on your line.
- To disable call forwarding dial *73.
- Try plugging another telephone into the jack to verify that the problem is not the telephone itself.
- Check all connections to make sure that all telephones are securely plugged in.
- If you continue to experience problems with the jack, dial 611 for assistance
If you are unable to clear the stutter tone by retrieving your messages, try adding commas in front of the phone number you are dialing.
- Commas tell the equipment to delay before dialing.
- Try adding 6 to 8 commas to delay the equipment until the stutter dial tone for voice mail goes away.
Not necessarily because cable outages can occur for a variety of reasons that may not affect the telephone service.
- Cox's Network Operations Center constantly monitors the network for potential problems, quickly identifies interruptions in service, and remedies the problem.
- Cox provides back-up power for a small fee. For more information Contact us at 855-324-7700 or visit any Cox Retail Store to order a battery for your telephone modem.
Calling Feature FAQs
Anonymous Call Rejection does not block unknown or out-of-area callers. This feature only blocks callers that have Caller ID blocking.
If you are having a problem dialing a 900 / 976 number, call 611 for assistance.
Note: Selective Call Rejection does not currently work with the SBV5222 Motorola modem. Please call your Cox customer care center to find out more.
When dialing an International number, it is not necessary to start your dialing with a "1." This is replaced by the "011" code.
If you hear a fast busy signal when you try using a feature, this means that you do not subscribe to the feature. Please contact us to add the feature to your telephone services.
Check your phone setting and make sure the phone is set to "Tone" and not "Pulse."
With the large volume of telephone numbers being used today, many area codes have been split to allow for more telephone numbers to be introduced. These new area codes are associated with routing the call to specific communities and are required to complete the call.