Billing & Account Support
Change or Update the Primary Account Holder Name
Last Updated: Fri, 16 May 2014 > Related Articles
Learn how to change the name of the primary account holder listed on your account or change ownership of telephone number.
Changing Account Information
If you would like to change your name on your account, or you need to give someone else responsibility for your account, we can assist you. First, read the eligibility requirements for making the changes, then see the steps below that when you are ready to proceed.
When can I change my name on my account?
You can change the name on your account when the change pertains to one of the following:
- Marriage - You may change your last name or middle initial, if applicable. (Marriage license required)
- Divorce - You may change your last name or middle initial, if applicable. (Divorce decree required)
- Legal name change. (Court order required)
- Misspelling. (Government-issued photo ID required)
How can I have the name changed when I meet the above qualifications?
A visit to any of our Cox Retail stores will provide you with the ability to have the change completed while you are at the location.The change can only be initiated by the current Account Holder, using the required documentation as listed above. You can gain access to the form in the store, or you can print the Name Change form, fill it out completely, and bring it into a Cox Retail store for processing.
Note: A Name Change typically takes up to five (5) business days to process upon receipt of the completed form and documentation.
Can I give someone else account responsibility?
The following scenarios qualify customers as eligible to assume the Telephone Number or Equipment of the former account holder:
- Death of account holder when the telephone number or equipment is going to be assumed by the spouse/domestic partner or immediate family member.
- Disability of the account holder, which requires the telephone number or equipment to be assumed by the spouse/domestic partner or immediate family member.
- Account holder is moving and the telephone number or equipment is going to be assumed by an ex-spouse/domestic partner, immediate family member, or roommate currently listed as an authorized user on the account.
If you need further assistance, contact Customer Support.
Requirements for Releasing or Assuming a Telephone Number or Equipment
Explanation of Terms
- Telephone Number Assumption - This is when someone else will take over the current active telephone number, usually due to a death.
- Equipment Assumption - This is the equipment to provide telephone, data or video services located at the address is to be taken over by someone else moving into the residence, usually due to a death.
- The telephone number being assumed must be currently in service with Cox, meaning it cannot be an inactive number.
- The current account holder no longer resides in the residence.
- Reactivation of the new account must be at the same physical location as the disconnecting account.
- The Cox account that the telephone number is being assumed from must be current, no transactions for past due accounts.
- The current Cox account holder must provide verbal verification using their Cox PIN, and consent to release the active telephone number to the Cox Customer Support or Retail agent before this transaction can be processed.
- Cox Home Security equipment cannot be assumed.
- Contracts are not transferable.
- Cox email addresses cannot be assumed or saved.
- Voice Mail will reset and all messages and recordings will be deleted.
- Telephone Number or Equipment Assumptions in the case of death of the account holder requires verification by one of the following:
- Official obituaries in newspapers and online; funeral programs
- Online search of state, county, and city public records
- The appointment from a Probate Court (if executor of estate)
- Death Certificate
- Telephone Number assumption will require a record for Third Party Verification to be obtained with the person who is requesting to assume the telephone number, prior to processing the request.
- Contact Cox Customer Care department to initiate an Assumption of a Telephone Number or existing equipment.